Terminating and Vacating

Both parties (Landlord and Tenant), can terminate a tenancy by providing appropriate notice. This notice must be in written form and served in the prescribed manner.

When the time comes to vacate, of your tenancy is on a periodic or month to month basis, you must provide 28 days written notice on your intention to the Landlord or Agent. If your tenancy is still on a fixed term and coming up for expiration then the 28 day written notice is still needed to coincide with the expiration date of your tenancy agreement or a date after the expiration date.

Should you wish to terminate your tenancy prior to the expiration of the tenancy agreement then you must contact your Property Manager as soon as possible so they can explain what is required and the ramifications your decision.

Once your notice has been received by our office you will receive written confirmation and a vacating guide (this guide can also be accessed here).

In the advent that the Landlord requires for the property to be re leased access to show the house to prospective tenants will be required. We will contact you in relation to this and shall endeavour to work in with you as best we can. However, it should be noted, that a Landlord does have a right to insist on access during the final two weeks of your tenancy in order for inspections to be carried out.

After the property has been cleaned, gardens tidied and all rubbish and personal effects have been removed, you will need to return all keys and/or remotes to our office. Please note that rent is payable up and until the day that keys are returned so it is essential all keys etc are return either on or before your vacating date.

A final inspection of the property will then be carried out, and all being well, a Bond Claim form will be emailed to you for completion. Once completed you will then need to forward the form directly to the RTBA and they will direct deposit the refunded amount into your nominated account within 48 hours.

If there are any issues we will contact yourself to discuss and seek your instruction as to how we can resolve them. If these issues can’t be resolved within the appropriate time period then application made be made to VCAT  to seek resolution.

For further information on your rights and responsibilities as a tenant, view the Consumer Affairs Guidebook. http://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/library/publications/housing-and-accommodation/renting/renting-a-home-a-guide-for-tenants.pdf